- Love: Recognize God’s love, the value of this love, and that he came to save us from the world’s values
- Servant Leadership: Christ came to serve not be served
- Hope: When things look impossible God says they are not and turns impossible into possible.
- Forgiveness: The world says hold on to grudges or even get revenge God says love your enemies.. forgive those who do you wrong.
- Trust: especially in times when we can’t see the big picture
- Long suffering: connected to trust, God is actually working through the situation you are in and growing you profoundly according to his purposes, learning to see the beauty in longsuffering
- Unconditional kindness: learning to give expecting nothing in return
- Redemption and Restoration: Seeing people through these lenses helps us recognize that God values every person
- Lowliness, humility: God values the lowly and the children. This is one of those places where we see God flipping the values of the world on their head, he places high value on the people the world would place low value on
We then looked at things that are not kingdom values. They came almost too fast and easy.
- Me First
- My pain is your pain
- Fear that is unhealthy
- Self justification
- Self doubt
- Self entitlement
- Self protection
- Wealth and status: My worth is in my spouse my kids my career when it should be centered in Christ
- Rejection rather than inclusion
- Personal agenda
- Manipulating others.
At this point we put a halt on all this negativity. Thanks for all your participation in this exercise. we could all give it some thought and add several more but we came up with a great descriptive list of kingdom values that if we seek our Holy Spirit’s filling will lead us on a wonderful journey in his kingdom. I have personally been pondering the value of humility lately. I believe it is richly present in our body and something we want to keep protective prayers around. I further thought, since it fell to me to type up these notes, I would get a couple cents worth of my own on kingdom values. Some are included in what was already said but may offer a slightly different view
- Worship: I have long been moved by the truth that the entire first half of the ten commandments are about appropriate and exclusive worship of God.
- Honour: tied very closely to worship is honour beginning of course with God, then our earthly Father and Mother, then the rest of humanity. Again this is actually a summary of the ten commandments.
- Listening to our Holy Spirit. I think we are waking up to this one and perhaps it is actually more the path into kingdom values. The world moves in the realm of vision and decisions, we are actually to enter the realm of revelation and function as priests in God’s kingdom.
- Of course many more could be added (meditation, study to show yourself approved, care for the land, on it goes). I think the point is to have ourselves tuned to God’s ways.
My final thought for us all, myself first., is that it is easy to celebrate these values when we read them or talk about them, the real issue is living them in our lives. God is gracious and will bring opportunity our way for these values to make their way off the page into our lives.
May all of us make it a matter of sincere prayer to see these kingdom values planted and grow in our body.
- Pastor Cliff
Here is a printable attachment if you are interested.